Stash, the new SS

There's something about the wunnspeed, whenever I hop on it—usually after a hectic national series of racing and after that, some long hard time out working on increasing skinfolds and consuming lots of beer—it kind of feels like home. Despite spending a lot of time riding bikes so I can race XC, there is nothing like banging some AC/DC and The Clash while pinging along on the singo, passing roadies up Mt Coot-tha on expensive road bikes. That bit's the best.

So, I have been without a singo for a while now, and do really miss it. Having entered this years' Singlespeed Nationals in September, I decided that I should start training by drinking copious amounts of beer, and plan my outfit. Then I realised I should get the 1spd sorted out as well.

Mind you, Aido and I both don't really fancy another tattoo, so I think we'll have to hand over the title this year.

Anyway, meet Stash:

Stash is the bike, not the chick with a goofy look on her face and some nasty regrowth in the hair, that's me. Stash is so called 'cos he's kinda pistachio in colour, or parts of him are;

The Aerozine bars are sweeet: not only are they green but they have a slight rise and sweep with is perfect for the rigid ss 29'r.

Speaking of rigid, here are the forks:

The rigid fork has the amazing ability of making you feel like you're going REALLY fast when you're really only going an average speed, just due to the trail bounce effect. But honestly, it doesn't slow you down that much. Only when you're on the trail side repairing flats, that does bring your average speed down a fair bit (current wunnspeed ride-to-flat ratio is 2:1, it's a 50% chance you'll be using your pump, but I haven't Stan's-ed up the wheels yet and this data is from two rides...). I did learn, however, that running the regular 25psi in the tubed wheelset with a rigid fork does lend itself to some high-speed "oh shit" moments. Good times and tales to tell your children. I think I am going to get a reputation of Anna: the breaker of bikes and componentry pretty soon.

Anyway, a great three hour ride out today with Erin, who could be a great singlespeeder except she doesn't really drink beer, have a beared or ride a singlespeed. She has potential though and I am sure we'll lure her to the dark side eventually.

And finally, a tribute to Friday;