Tennis Tuesday-A Complete Lack of Drama

Since this blog is "officially" about playing tennis while jacked up on caffeine, I figured I'm due for a tennis post.

One of the reasons I haven't posted about tennis lately is the complete lack of drama. It's almost eerie. I'm playing on a USTA mixed doubles team. No practice, I just show up for matches and find out who my partner is. We play, if we win great (and we have been winning, thank goodness.) If we don't win, our captain is cool with it. WEIRD.

I'm on a ladies' USTA team that starts matches the beginning of May. All I know is that I'm playing singles. We might practice here and there, if we feel like it. My captain's philosophy is, "we're all out there to win, but if we don't, no biggie, there are more important things than housewife tennis." FREAKY!!!

Two of the other teams I was asked to join are embroiled in vigorous practice sessions. They all get together for drinks, they are working on forming strong doubles teams and shopping for team uniforms. I see them in groups discussing strategy and I just walk on by. BIZARRE.

It's kind of early to tell, but it's possible that I have finally managed to place myself in a "drama free tennis zone." I feel like a woman who has been in an abusive relationship and is finally dating a nice guy. I keep waiting for a slap in the face. I'm flinching, but all my teammates do is smile at me and say nice things.

Last week one of my tennis friends met my mom and said, "your daughter is a fierce competitor." I'm still mulling over that one. Compliment??? I'll never know. The fact is, I DO like to win. I wonder if my team will have a good record with such a laid back attitude. They're all great players and very cool, so I'm going to give it a shot. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground in the team tennis world. The alternative is a bunch of back biting obsessed nut jobs who love each other when they're up, and throw each other under the bus when they're down.

It's going to be a very interesting, (or hopefully not so interesting) season. Can't wait to see what lengths people will go to to be the #1 team and receive the much coveted "USTA League Champion" vinyl tote bag, covered in blood, sweat and tears.


A while back I asked if anyone was interested in participating in my private tennis blog "Game Set BASH!!" I got a bunch of e-mails requesting invitations, and they all got deleted.

Sorry, I'm a spaz.

If you want an invite, please contact me at jillyou@verizon.net

It's so much fun to vent in a safe place. If you're not a tennis player, you'll still love the stories!