The sunshine state

The weekend has been blessed with good weather, which is a good thing as I become very crabby when faced with the possibility of bad weather. In fact, my functioning generally only occurs during optimal temperature and weather conditions. If it's below 20 degrees, or over 27 degrees, I am out of there.

As I live in the Sunshine State (also known as the Sweaty State), this optimal functioning temperature is given a very small window each year. At the moment, mornings are warm and pleasant, while the days are uncharacteristically 30 degrees and higher. This is very strange for August, my friend Kirra did a weather search for temperatures during previous August and found out that last year the highest August temperature was 26 degrees.

But that's climate change for you, and if there's anything I hate more than climate change, it's getting dehydrated while out in the bush on your mountain bike, and seeing spots. Which is exactly what happened yesterday.

What's even worse is being lost in the bush on your mountain bike when it's 32 degrees and you're dying of dehydration and heatstroke. But such is life.

What was even less exciting was riding my singlespeed this morning without changing my gear from an 18T to a 20T (it's a 29er, and the 18 was put on for a really flat racecourse some time ago, and the 18T just doesn't quite cut the mustard up steep singletrack, unless you're riding in front of me and looking back to see my eyes pop out of my head as I blow up). However, it was a fun ride, with all going back to the Xmas' for several (ie: 4) coffees, lovely fruit platters, toast and brekky. I was much impressed—thanks Kathy and the Xmas'!.

I have come to the conclusion that as the human body is made up of about 80% water, and most of my fluid intake is coffee, I am probably at least 75% caffeinated.