There is nothing, I repeat nothing, worse than looking like a tourist when you're traveling. Thankfully, Madewell has launched their online store and I've been using their looks as inspiration to not get caught wearing a tracksuit and fanny pack when Taylor, Stephanie, and I head out to D.C. to visit Laura in June.
Avoid the following to not look like a tourist:
- Stonewashed denim, multiple pieces of denim clothing, Mom Jeans
- Chunky-soled, white athletic shoes
- Anything with large, obnoxious logos whether they be designer names or sports logos
- Fanny packs, backpacks, and any other sort of inappropriately giant bag
- Color coordination in outfits worn by your entire group (aka the *NSYNC faux pas)
- Wearing clothing that is normally used as sleepwear because it's "comfortable"
- Clothing in colors that could be described as retina searing
- Anything that has specific reference to where you are visiting or other touristy destinations i.e. Ciao Bella t-shirts in Italy, I Heart NYC paraphernalia etc. (as suggested by my friend Lesley-Anne)
- Choose a fairly neutral color palette while you pack, it makes it easier to dress and to blend in with locals
- Black is slimming and makes an outfit look more cosmopolitan
- Invest in a streamlined, dark shoe and if necessary make them more comfortable by using gel insoles
- Bring interesting but inexpensive accessories if you want to make your outfits more reflective of your personal tastes i.e. scarves, costume jewelry, sunglasses etc.