Book Review: How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


I was intent on liking this book when I checked it out of the library back in July. The cute dress on the cover, the reference to Audrey Hepburn and/or Katharine Hepburn, and the premise that money and fame don't buy class -it looked like a precious little read. Upon reading it, however, I determined that I was not a fan. I agree with much of what the author, Jordan Christy, says, but I can not agree with the way she presents her work. For example, the title implies that this is a self-help guide for young women to put away some of their more risqué outfits and habits and act more mature and demure. Christy, however, sees fit to dedicate the introduction to trashing "stupid girls", i.e. the very people this book is supposed to help change. The rest of the book is more benign, with points about dressing like you respect yourself, getting involved in the community, making friends who treat you well, not shellacking your face with makeup, etc., etc., but the author often engages in a tactic which I dislike. Often when she talks about how the ~stupid girls~ act and dress, she has to emphasize how SHE never does that, SHE knows better, SHE is much more pure and holy. Denial much? I mean sure, I'm not into the Girls Gone Wild way of life, but I don't feel the need to assert that all the time. Another thing I found majorly annoying is the fact that Christy in one chapter goes on about how women should enjoy intellectual pursuits, she studies Hebrew, we should care more about scientists and philanthropists than celebrities, blah blah blah. Yet despite these assertions, almost every example she uses involves pop culture ("My sister and I love this line that Kathryn Hahn delivers in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" (p. 71), "Carrie Fisher once said" (p. 47), "The lovely Jennifer Aniston has said" (p. 38). But this part is the best: Christy has a little quiz you can take to see what sort of genres you'd be interested in reading, and she also suggests some different book titles. If you like romance "[Y]ou'll really appreciate authors such as Jennifer Weiner, Sophie Kinsella, Annie Lamott, or Lauren Weisberger. For a challenge, try Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen" (p.58). SERIOUSLY? Because Chasing Harry Winston is going to massively improve your mind? And when was Pride and Prejudice EVER considered a ~challenge~? Wasn't everybody required to read this in 12th grade English Literature??? Please note that Christy also offers Gone with the Wind, a book I read in 5th grade, as a challenge as well. *Face. Palm.* Though maybe I shouldn't be too critical. Not everyone is a pathetic little book worm like me. And if this book is ~actually~ targeting the "stupid girls", then perhaps their normal reading levels aren't particularly advanced. But I doubt that those who need help are actually going to read this; this book seems destined to wind up only on the shelves of those women who are fans of Audrey Hepburn and dressing up for events. I give How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World 2.5 stars out of 5.