February Flashback: SOME Jr. Gala at the Corcoran

I've been rather busy with schoolwork lately, so I haven't had much time to post. I know this post is pretty late, but since it was from a fun event and the pictures are nifty, I thought I'd share.

On February 11, a local charitable organization, SOME (So Others Might Eat), hosted a gala for young professionals at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, right near the White House.

The gallery was constructed at the end of the 19th century in the Beaux Arts architectural style, and the museum houses mainly American art.



This is the interior.


For the gala, the interior was transformed from its ivory, Classical appearance with strategically placed colorful lights.




There were delicious hors d'oeuvres and desserts (especially the lemon bars) . The Blues Tips Rhythm Revue played for the event, and I had fun dancing throughout the night. Because the gala took place in an art museum, I was very concerned about what I wore. I wanted something that would be artistic looking and elegant. After much deliberation, I decided on an ivory BCBG Max Azria dress and the silver shoes I wore to Prom back in 2003. I was very inspired by Brenda Diana Duff Frazier's "white look" (red lipstick, arched brows, and face powder) for my make up, and threw on different diamonds and pearls. My hair was being frustrating, so I just put it up in a ponytail and pinned it up so it'd trail down in a hopefully "artistic" fashion; then, being even more "clever" and "artistic" (or so I thought at the time), I pinned a pearl necklace into my hair.


One of the kind Revamp photographers took this picture of me and my date. A nice memento for such a fun night!

images: 1. www.askmissa.com 2. Flickr 3.-6. personal collection 7. Revamp.com