Makeup Review Monday: Undercover


I am a firm believer that if you do not have a good base, then you have nothing to stand on. While this applies in many situations such as morally, while making speeches, your house, it also applies to your makeup!

Sometime last year, I finally put down the tinted moisturizer and decided to try Bare Minerals. I really like the effect of Bare Minerals but I notices a significant lack of moisture in my skin since I was not using the tinted moisturizers any more.

I have tried two different products for my makeup base. This is how it worked out.
Estée Lauder DayWear SPF15: I liked this moisturizer. My mother used it and loved it so that is why I gave it a shot. It has a cucumber scent, and I would describe its weight as moderate. It is not too oily and I think would work for a lot of skin types because of this. My main draw back? The SPF is lower than I would like, and the price! DayWear is $43.00 for 1.7-ounces.

Philosophy Hope In a Jar SPF25: I LOVE this moisturizer. I tried it based on reviews on Sephora.com and my love of most Philosophy products. This is supposed to be scent free but there is a very, very light hint of lavender in the moisturizer. I would describe this as a heavy weight moisturizer that is just barely oily, it may not be the "everyone" moisturizer. I am glad the SPF is higher, because while most makeup now contains SPF, we are usually not putting enough on or evenly enough to get the proper protection from makeup alone. It also makes my skin feel better than the DayWear, I can't quite explain why, but it just does. Finally, the price is more reasonable, $38.00 for 2-ounces.

Keeping your skin properly moisturized helps keep down the amount of exfoliating that needs to happen, and that is great for me since most exfoliates, except Lush's Angels on Bare Skin, make my face go crazy. It also provides a slightly "sticky" base for powdered makeups to sit on.


I think most of you have heard about or are part of the cult following of Urban Decay's Primer Potions. I have been a member since 2004. Finally, as an exclusive to Sephora, Urban Decay has released all of their Primer Potions in squeeze tubes! I am so excited to try them and compare packaging. The old bottle, while lovely, was a pain in the butt. They previously released a professional size of the original formula in a squeeze tube, but I have not seen it in stores or online recently. As soon as I get my hands on one I will be sure to share it with you all! They are available at Sephora.com at $19.00 for 0.37-ounces, a dollar more than the old bottle, and a little more product too.

What moisturizers are you swooning over this week?