The First Day of Spring



The first day of spring has finally arrived.  I have been looking forward to spring all winter long.  The wild flowers on the roadside are starting to bloom.  The sweet fragrance of freshly cut grass lingers in the air.  The joy of spring is finally here.
Immediately my mind starts thinking of Sangria on the front porch, sitting on the swing listening to our favorite tunes.   Gardening and heading to the beach on the weekend.
Suddenly my heart skipped a beat.  I have been wearing my sweats all winter long.  It is time to get out my bathing suit and shorts.  Suddenly all my thoughts of spring came to a screeching stop.  OMG, I haven’t started working out yet.
The only thoughts going through my mind now are: Betty the yeti, Thunder thighs and Chunky monkey.   I know what was once a small muffin top now looks like a full split loaf of bread.  Why was I longing for spring, I ask myself.  Why have I been procrastinating working out?
Immediately I start searching through the DVDs for my workout video.  I know I had it this past fall, certainly it could not have gone that far.  I keep thinking to myself why did we not move further north where the winters last longer, maybe Alaska.  I keep searching for the workout DVD but can't find it anywhere.  Alright, improvise, turn the television to the 80's channel and work out.

One hour and ten aching muscles later, I start thinking to myself.  Why am I so worried about what everyone else thinks I look like.  I look good and feel good.  I am in good shape, just not the same shape I was in 25 years ago.