Hold on to your pennies!


Economy wise (and in many other ways) we live in some pretty scary times.


As you've probably heard, Lehman Brothers has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.


This has hit families in my town pretty hard. A friend of mine called me this morning with her voice shaking. Her husband is out of a job with no severance and no salary. So are thousands of other Lehman employees.


Now they are all competing with each other for whatever jobs are available in their areas of expertise.


Imagine, having you or your husband's source of income cut off, with virtually no safety net.


Hearing my friend's voice really hit home for me. I realized that I really do have to be super careful with our money, at least for the time being.


Granted, losing a job isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person. It happened to me when I was 25 years old. My company lost a big account and they let the newest people go. I felt like the wind was knocked out of me, but my expenses were low, and it was easy to bounce back.


When you have 4 childen, a mortgage and tuition bills to pay, the stakes are pretty high. I feel for them, and I'm not foolish enough to think that it can't happen to my family.


I'm not sure if any of you have been through this. If you have, tell me what happened, and how did you get your life back on track?