Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?


Do you lock your doors every night? I do.


Before I go to bed, I walk around the house securing every window and door.


My husband doesn't do it. He goes to bed without so much as a thought to checking the doors. He drives into a very tough neighborhood in Newark every day with his car doors unlocked. I always remind him, "Remember to lock your doors, PLEASE!!" It doesn't mean he doesn't care about safety. He just doesn't worry about those things. I wish I could be as trusting as he is.


I lock the doors because I'm afraid. I fear a carjacking, or a home invasion. I worry about the safety of my children and I want to protect my family at all costs. Do I need to be so careful? I don't know, but I'm not taking any chances.


Today marks the 7 year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the United States.



Yesterday, I went to my county's 9/11 Memorial. 147 people from Monmouth County died that day. I'm sure they locked their doors at night. Those they loved would have done anything to keep them from harm. But there was nothing they could do to protect them that sunny September morning. I still tremble when I remember the horror of that day.


When I go to bed I will pray for the families that couldn't save their loved ones, and I will hope that someday I can share my husband's feeling of well being.
Unfortunately there are some times when all the locks in the world won't do a damn thing. All we can do is have faith that somehow, everything will be okay.
"Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops...at all.


-Emily Dickinson