Looking for a Sense of Purpose...

Thanks to a recommendation night from Keeks and Brie, Brad and I went to see the movie Julie & Julia on Saturday night.

When I first saw the trailer for the film, I really wasn't that interested in seeing it, but I am so glad I did! I loved the film so much that we went straight to Borders after it was over so I could buy, Julia Child's book, My Life in France and Julie Powell's book, Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously.

If you don't know anything about it, I'll give you a brief synopsis.

The film depicts events in the life of chef Julia Child in the early years in her culinary career, contrasting her life with Julie Powell, a woman who's life has no goals or direction.

Julie, an almost 30 year old secretary who works in dead end job in a drab cubicle near Ground Zero in lower Manhattan. She lives with her husband in an awful walk up apartment in Queens. She longs for some purpose in her life, so her husband suggests she start a blog. (Which he later regrets!)

Julie decides to combine her love of writing and cooking sets a goal. She vows to cook all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I, in a period of 365 days and to chronicle her journey in The Julie/Julia Project. You can read the blog from start to finish here.

One of the things that struck me about Julie is that she embarks on her project partially because she believes she has ADD and longs for FOCUS. Sounds familiar!

As it turns out, Julie's project takes over her life. Her husband accuses her of becoming completely self absorbed, and her mother can't understand why she would embark in such a strange hobby, writing a blog, that her mother feels has absolutely no one reading it. (Hmm, sounds familiar again!)

Despite her frustrations and the obstacles, Julie reaches her goal, her blog is a huge hit, they turn it into a book and movie and all her dreams come true.

Which of course, got me to thinking. What could I do for 365 days that I can blog about?

My friend Doug and his wife Annie had sex for 101 days straight and chronicled it in his book, Just Do It. Since that's already been done, I'll have to pass on that one. (Much to my husband's displeasure.)

My blog bud, Dr. Zibbs thought it would be inspiring to clean the house using all different methods for 365 days. Great idea, for someone who has a PASSION for cleaning. Which I don't.

Tennis, as you know, is a passion of mine. Maybe I could try a new tennis racket, (provided by the manufacturer) every day. And blog about it.

Ben & Jerry's has about 60 flavors of ice cream. Perhaps I could try a new flavor everyday, for 2 months. and write about it.

After I gain 50 lbs eating all that ice cream, I can try a different exercise every day, to get into shape.

Maybe I can do a good deed everyday, a "random act of kindness." That would be good. I could give my blog a sense of purpose AND help others in the process.

Damn, I am just chock full of great ideas!

But seriously, it would be nice to have a purpose for my blog.

I'm open to suggestions. Just click the little comment link.

Operators are standing by to take your call.