DON'T lather, rinse, repeat...


I just gave the bathroom the Tilex tootbrush treatment, and I'm a bit loopy, so bear with me.

Today we are going to turn our attention to hair care.

Ever since I was a teenager I have washed my hair every day. Every once in awhile I would skip a day, but for the most part I felt weird if I didn't lather up each morning.

Last week I went to a beauty supply store to buy a dandruff shampoo for color treated hair and I was approached by the store owner. She was quite the inquisitive lady. When I told her what I was looking for she requested that I allow her to do a full scalp and hair examination.

She lifted my hair and dug through the roots. It was a bit unnerving, but after her evaluation she asked me how often I wash. When I told her she exclaimed, "THAT is your problem! You are drying out your scalp and hair with all your scrubbing and blow drying. You CANNOT wash your hair every day! You should wash it at the most twice a week."

Shocking, but very compelling. It made sense. She put the dandruff shampoo back on the shelf and handed me a chemical free scalp and hair leave on conditioner. She told me to massage my scalp every morning, then take a shower, RINSE my hair with clear water and then apply the leave on conditioner. Once or twice a week I can shampoo.

I agreed to try it and report back in a month with my results.

When I returned home I did some Googling and came up with some interesting information. Washing your hair once a week is actually CHIC! Who knew?

Check out this article from the New York Times..."Of Course I Washed My Hair Last Year (I’m Almost Certain)".

A little oil is good for your hair and scalp.

Fascinating.

So, did you know about this? How often do you wash your hair?

I'm so glad I let that lady pick at my scalp like a monkey.

I think she changed my life.