It Didn't Seem Like Much at the Time - Shonna Anderson

It didn't seem like much at the time, but I probably should have known that it meant it was the beginning of the end. I had always heard about women receiving the dreaded scarf and gloves set at Christmas and how it was one of the most unpersonal presents one can receive. At least someone cared enough to get a present, but didn’t care enough to think that hard about it. Walk into any store at Christmas time and there they are within easy reach of any man who can’t be bothered to actually think about what to get his girlfriend or wife at Christmas. These thoughts went through my mind at Christmas as I opened the shiny, silver box that he was so excited to give me. “This is it?” I thought to myself. “A Scarf and gloves?” Then I felt bad about my initial reaction as he explained that the gloves were because my hands were always cold and he wanted me to be warm when we held hands and how he had to order the scarf specially because he wanted the green because of how it brought out my eyes. Yes, he painted a pretty picture, but the reality was that they were still a pair of gloves and a scarf, and I should have known it was the beginning of the end.