|Image 1 (sodahead.com): Another reason to supersize your cup of coffee; no not the girl, or ... well ;-)|
3,4-DA is like legal gear from the brown brew
Compared to placebo and vitamin C (25mg/kg), the hydrolyzed chlorogenic acid molecule, of which the 8-week-old male Wistar rats in the Noves study received either 5mg or 25mg per kg body weight (HED for 80kg human being: 65mg or 324mg) had almost incredibly potent "ergogenic" effects:
Less ROS = Increased efficacy?!
Interestingly, the lactate levels of the 3,4-DA rodents were significantly lower and the remaining liver glycogen levels were significantly higher than in the placebo and vitamin C group (see figure 2).
|Figure 2: Serum triglyceride (group effects non-significant) and lactate levels, hepatic glycogen content and protein arbonyl and malondialdehyde levels after the exercise (based on Novaes. 2012)|
But don't we need ROS?
|Image 2: Don't worry those love handles will go away - rather with the antioxidant + caffeine power of coffee than without it!|
A huge cup of coffee before your workout will therefore neither hamper the weight loss, nor the health effects of your workout, as long as you do actually make use of its ergogenic effect and train 60% longer, 30% faster, 90% further and perform overall twice as much work... just kiddin', if you train regularly you should be more concerned about keeping the amount of inflammation at bay - some is probably necessary, too much counter-productive, but that would the topic of another SuppVersity post. I for one am now going to get myself a nice cup of coffee...yummy!
Suggested reads on coffee:
- GCB Another Fatloss Acronym: Green Coffee Bean Extract Helps Pre-Obese Men and Women Shed 16lbs in 22 weeks.
- Warding Off Holiday Weight Gain 2.0: The Anti-Diabesity Effect of Coffee Goes Beyond its Caffeine Content.
- Only "Real", Not Decaffeinated Instant Coffee Increases Fatty Acid Oxidation. Revisited: Caffeine's Dose-Dependent Effects on Testosterone & Cortisol Response to Exercise
- Study Identifies Caffeic Acid Induced AMPK-α2 Activity Behind the Fat Burning, Insulin-Sensitizing & Life-Extending Effects of Coffee. Plus: Why Creatine & Coffee Don't Mix!
- Atalay M, Laaksonen DE. Diabetes, oxidative stress and training. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 2002 Jan; 1 - 14.
- Chung TW, Moon SK, Chang YC, Ko JH, Lee YC, Cho G, Kim SH, Kim JG, Kim CH. Novel and therapeutic effect of caffeic acid and caffeic acid phenyl ester on hepatocarcinoma cells: complete regression of hepatoma growth and metastasis by dual mechanism. FASEB J. 2004 Nov;18(14):1670-81.
- Novaes RD, Gonçalves RV, Peluzio Mdo C, Natali AJ, Maldonado IR. 3,4-dihydroxycinnamic Acid attenuates the fatigue and improves exercise tolerance in rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012 May 23;76(5):1025-7.
- Vinson JA, Burnham BR, Nagendran MV. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012;5:21-7. Epub 2012 Jan 18.