They're BAAACK...The HalloWeenies...

I'm going to take a little break from talking about myself. In the spirit of Halloween, I've brought back a post I did a year ago...enjoy!!

It's fall, my favorite time of the year! I love decorating my house with mums, pumpkins, gourds and cornstalks. When it gets closer to Halloween we throw up a few fake cobwebs, carve up the Jack-O-Lantern and light him up!!

Some people, however, do not share my taste in fall decor. They pump up the big old inflatable ghosts and pumpkins, some even have three or four of these festive dirigibles displayed proudly on their front lawn. (Much to the delight of my children!) While I don't love inflatable Frankensteins or skeletons, they're harmless, cute and fun.



What I have a problem with are people who choose to bedeck their homes with bloody body parts, corpses hanging from nooses and demons with claws swinging from the front porch.

These people must truly hate small children. Why else would you choose to transform your house into the set from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" at a time of year when little children travel from home to home dressed as Disney Princesses and Power Rangers?

I literally have to change my travel routes at this time of year to avoid certain "Houses of Horror." For some reason my 8 year old and 4 year old are freaked out by corpses.

Another Halloween tradition I love is when people decide to jump out and scare kids as they approach their homes to get a Kit-Kat Bar. There are a few different techniques. There's the zombie with the candy bowl who sits perfectly still and then jumps at the kids when they reach in to snatch up the candy. BOOOOOO! Then there's the teen-age boys who answer the door with fake hatchets sticking out of their heads. Thanks alot you little punk!

And of course there are the homes with the strobe lights, cackling witch laugh soundtracks and black lights where Freddie Krueger pops out from behind the bushes. All that stuff is fun, when you're sixteen-but do you think these people could save it for after 8 pm when the elementary school crowd is home sorting their candy?

And don't even get me started on the Party Stores that feature a Halloween section. My kids won't go near these stores. Tomorrow, when both my kids are at school I have to make a Halloween store run by myself, because they are afraid to see the array of corpse brides and severed heads the store has displayed near the entrance.

I think I've made my point. Halloween is about kids and fun. Don't be a HalloWeenie. Save the "Night of the Living Dead" stuff for after the little ones are safe at home. (OR I'LL EGG YOUR HOUSE!)

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
--- H.P. Lovecraft