Makin' Bacon...

Since I confessing some of my sins lately, I'll tell you something about myself that has always bothered me. I've always been terrible at...MAKING MONEY.

I have never made alot of money. Everything I've ever been interested in pays squat.

I'm good at alot of things. I play a very nice game of tennis, but I'll never be a tennis pro. I'm kind to and love animals, but there is no way I'll become a vet. When I set my mind to it, I'm a pretty good writer. The world is full of good writers, how many of them publish a best selling novel?

My kids' friends always want to come to MY house for play dates, because it's relaxed and fun over at my pad, but I don't charge them admission to my fun house.

I'm a loyal friend and generally a good, law abiding citizen. Neither of which pays me a dime.

In my working days, I was employed in the entertainment industry (no, I wasn't a stripper), and for the American Red Cross. I've never had any interest in law, banking, trading stocks, or business in general. I've always loathed working in an office and have avoided it at all costs. This aversion to office buildings and suits has probably contributed to my lack of marketable money making skills.

In some ways my pitiful earning power has made me feel bad about myself.

I would love to be really good at something that pays the big bucks.

I know everyone will tell you that life isn't about how much money you make, but let's face it, money brings some pretty good things, like a roof over your head, a college education for your kids, vacations to the Caribbean and pretty Frye Boots. It also brings something else with it.

RESPECT.

I am totally and completely financially dependent on my husband, and I know that isn't a good thing.

The question is...am I going to do something about it?

I can't answer that right now. I'm 44 years old, with a 6 year old and a 10 year old. I haven't had a job outside the house in over 10 years. I like staying home and taking care of them.

But I feel vulnerable. I AM vulnerable.

What's a woman to do???